The World Federation of Pediatric Imaging (WFPI) is an international organization that provides a platform for pediatric radiology organizations united to address the challenges in global pediatric imaging training and service delivery.
An important part of the mission is Outreach and Training in lower resource settings. In fulfillment of this mission, WFPI offers a three-month (July 1, 2024 - September 30, 2024) sponsored training observership to be spent in the St Luke's Medical Center, Quezon City and Global City, Philippines under the mentorship of the Past President of the Philippine Society for Pediatric Radiology, Dr. Bernard F. Laya along with the St. Luke's Medical Center Pediatric Radiology Team including Dr. Nathan David Concepcion, Maricar Reyes, Marvin Bautista, Mariaem Andres, Jacqueline Austine Uy, Odina Gomez and Karl Solidum.
Financial support for the Observer is $3,000 US to cover transport and living expenses; up to US$1,000 for the Host Institution. Application deadline is April 22, 2024.
The program aims to enhance the clinical practice and teaching of pediatric radiology at all levels of healthcare more broadly in the Philippines, by developing expertise in imaging techniques and familiarity with protocols appropriate to the region’s burden of childhood disease. The program is designed to complement and expand basic specialist training in diagnostic radiology. The outcome will be detailed knowledge and in-depth experience of pediatric imaging in the context of the region's unique disease burden. The knowledge and skills acquired will empower a radiologist to conduct optimized pediatric imaging in either a general radiology service or a dedicated pediatric service.
During the 3 months of observership, the Mentor will be orienting, tutoring and guiding the observer in the various aspect of pediatric imaging i.e:
- Performance of the various fluoroscopic pediatric procedures
- Ultrasound of the pediatric patient- renal ultrasound, liver imaging, transplant imaging, doppler, cranial ultrasound.
- Approach to Plain film reporting: approach to a chest x-ray, abdomen x-ray, bone, skeletal surveys for non- accidental imaging.
- MRI- MRI protocols, approach to the pediatric brain, myelination, oncology imaging
- CT- dose, protocols, approach to the pediatric brain, abdomen, head and neck, oncology imaging.
- The observer must be committed to the program for the entire period.
- The observer may report on a case only under guidance of the supervisor (the paediatric radiologist)
- The observer will be required to attend and contribute to the academic meetings.
The World Federation Board gratefully acknowledges the William Shiels Memorial Foundation for its generous support of the global Observership Program.